How much time should you spend in a sauna, and how often should you go?
While some experienced sauna users, especially in Finland, may turn the sauna into a longer social event, please don't overdo it if you are a sauna beginner. The longer you stay in the sauna, the more you risk dehydration, so a general rule is to cap your time to 15 to 20 minutes.
If you are a sauna beginner, first of all: Start small
Don't use a sauna for more than 5 to 10 minutes at a time.
One of the most important things to remember when using a sauna is to take it slow. While saunas are generally considered safe and offer health benefits, it's essential to prevent dehydration. And remember, how you feel and how your body responds to the heat can be different each time.
Using the sauna after exercising
Wait at least 10 minutes before entering the sauna after exercise.
Sauna at maximum
Don't use the sauna for more than 15 minutes at a time.
Most specialists recommend one 15-minute sauna session one to three times a week for maximum benefits for your health.
5 Tips for Sauna Beginners
1. Don't use a sauna for the whole purpose of weight loss; it will only lead to water loss.
2. Make sure to drink water before and after using a sauna.
3. Shower first. You'll want to take a quick shower before hopping in and wrap yourself in a towel. Some people consider this more comfortable than a swimsuit.
4. Rinse and repeat. After using the sauna, experienced users recommend taking a cold shower or a dip in an icy body of water before visiting for another session.
5. Finally, enjoy the experience and the health benefits.